Pages

Sunday 21 March 2010

The Lovely Bones Book review

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.
Ratings: :) :) :)

I found this when I explored The Times Bookshop in Singapore.
It captured my interest when the synopsis at the back reads ‘My name is Salmon, like the fish, first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973.’

And off I flipped the first few pages of the book. The part that made me hurried to the paying counter was when George Harvey, the main antagonist of this story said ‘Take your clothes off. I want to check that you’re still a virgin,’ I’m not a pervert but I must say this sentence gave some impact on me at that time. (Still does)

Maybe it’s because I was (am) still obsessed with the ‘Junko Furuta case’ that I went on exploring the internet about all other homicides/murders committed by people all around the world. Urghh. I’m weird, I know.

 This is Susie Salmon, played by Saoirse Ronan (Seer-Sya Ronan).

 Okay, I'm writing a book review, not a movie review. Never mind, to help you imagine better. *nodded head*

I shall not start writing long winded synopsis of this novel. You can just read it from anywhere. I’ll just write what I think about it.

 Salmon and Singh

There are more narrative descriptions than dialogues depicted in this novel.
 I don't like this part. The part where Susie entered Ruth’s body and made love with her teenage crush, Ray Singh. I mean, she only had like, less than 24 hours in Ruth’s body and the ONLY thing she did was THAT??? I totally can’t understand you, Susie Salmon! At least meet your parents and siblings for a while. Tell them you’re okay. Tell them not to worry about you and go on with their lives as you are living ‘Happily ever after’ in heaven up there. And yeah, tell them where did Harvey bury your body parts, pfttt..
 George-PitymeIhavetroubledchildhood- Harvey
There are some elements of suspense as well. The part where Jack Salmon was hit in the cornfield and also the part where Lindsey sneaked into Harvey's house and ripped a page off Harvey's sketchbook. The page? What page? Read the book by yourself, will you!

And I’m a bit mad about what happened to Harvey in the end.  It seems like worldly justice is never served. He died all alone by himself. Fine, being hit by icicles. LOL. I would prefer it if the writer puts it like, ‘George Harvey was eaten by the crocodiles when he fell from the boat at the Amazon River. His body was never found,’ Good for him, then. He should suffer the same cause of death as what he did to his victims.

But then, it would be illogical as well. So, George Harvey suffered some kind of a troubled childhood and it had some aftereffects that resulted to him killing people like DUHHH….It seems like the writer’s trying to instill sympathy towards George Harvey in us, the readers. She’s trying to convey that the blame shouldn’t be entirely put on Harvey. He couldn’t help it. He had a troubled childhood. Sorry, FAILED!

Okay, too much information revealed. But then, it’s quite interesting. You can start reading it and you can put it away anytime you wanted. Then you can start reading again. And when you reached the boring part, you can put it down again. Then you can read it halfway, and watch Arashi shows. But really, it’s a good attempt as this is Alice Sebold’s debut novel. It’s not easy to write a novel, I can assure you that. Maybe the movie would be more interesting. My blurb would be…

‘ ‘putdownable’!’

Hey, at least I rated it 3 smileys! :D

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Take your clothes off?

ROFL.
I wanna watch the movie but got no time yet, finals finals finals schminals. :(

kina ;) said...

Interesting! :)

Sarah said...

Liz: Tengok jangan tak tengok, LOL. Nanti lama2 ulang kat HBO jugak, kan? XD

Kinah: Yeah! Try reading it! :D

bunny ;) said...

i bought this last month. and i kinda put it away and started reading other books. its interesting but its just that, yes there are so many parts describing soooo sooo many things XD and since my brain was programmed to accept only wizards and witches, fairies, magic, harry potter, percy jackson, aliens etcetc- (u get the idea XD)- its hard for me to continue reading this. but oh well i know im gonna love it, will DEFINITELY reread this once im done with my other books LOL *gets bricked*

Sarah said...

Yes, I don't like over-descriptions. It's quite boring. >_<
The narration and dialogues should be balanced, just like Harry Potter and stuffs.

You should finish reading it! :D
Ahh, I wanted to buy more books but I still have a few books that I haven't read! OMG I'm so greedy! Hoho. Thanks for the comment!

bunny ;) said...

hahaha XD im soo gonna stalk you, pls remember that. smlm igt mcm nk comment almost all of ur post XP everything seems interesting to me 8D

LOL i can definitely understand that. i've got like err more than 10books to finish and i still wanna buy MORE! ^^; i went to kino last friday, and i did a massive shopping there. great and now i dont even have any money left, just a few rm1s in my wallet. YAYYYY XD

anyway, have you ever read any thriller books? ^^; got any recommendations? :D

hehe, i think i wanna give the night world series a try XD; i love supernatural stories 8D <3 hm and im eyeing princess diaries series too but i dunno whether to try it or not :P *gets bricked*

i see, i knw kina-chan and you knw her too, and all of us love books! XD nyan~ i wonder if one day we hang out together at kino or stg, must be fun! :P

Sarah said...

Feel free to stalk me. LOL.
And thanks for browsing my pathetic blog entries. :)

I've read some thriller books. My favourite books would be those of Dan Brown's. Seriously, you couldn't stop reading them!Esp
'Da Vinci code', 'Angels and Demon'.

Currently I'm reading 'Deception Point' by him. Not bad.Later on, I wanted to buy 'The Last Symbol' -his latest book.Maybe you should try this one. ^_^

Stephen King is recommended as well. Sidney Sheldon is quite popular but I only read one book. -__-

What else? Okay, Frederick Forsyth, Michael Connelly.But Dan Brown is the most recommended. And if you wanted to buy Malay books, Ramlee Awang Murshid is the best! Like, he is the best Malay author ever! :D

I love supernatural stories as well! Especially TRUE stories. I love True Singapore Ghost Stories! Ahhh..

Yes, you should really buy Princess Diaries and other Meg Cabot's books. They are AWESOME! :D

Yes, I know Kinah.We are in the same uni and she was my classmate and next room neighbour! XD. I used to borrow her books :D

Yeah, sure! I'd love to hang out in ANY bookstores. Some of my friends complained of the massive amount of time I spent in bookshops. I refused to follow them shopping for clothes and make-ups. LOL.

Pheww, long comment! Thanks again! :D

Dekna said...

sarah!!

just watching the lovely bones just now..
hee..
quite best.but ye la tak puas hati camne pmbunuh tu mati..

but i like the 'inbetween' world..:)

Sarah said...

Zaty!!!

Teringin jugak nak tengok, macam best je. Trailer dia pun byk suspense.
Tak fair kan cara Harvey tu mati? Huhu.Takpela.

Thanks for the comment, dear! :D