Pages

Friday 27 January 2012

Star Wars Episode I-VI short reviews


Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Ratings: :) :) 
To tell the truth, the middle part is quite boring. I don't like that Anakin kid (Jake Lloyd) as he seems 'mengada-ngada'. Love all the fighting-using-light-sabers scene, especially the climax , which depicts the battle between Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul. ESPECIALLY the time when there's only Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul.


Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
Ratings : :) :) :) 
MUCH better than the previous prequel. Each moment makes your heart beats fast and faster! I love the love theme (Across the Stars). I love Natalie Portman, I hate Anakin Skywalker because of his arrogance (he reminds me of someone). I love Obi Wan Kenobi though I hate his hairstyle. I LOOOVVVEEEE C3PO and R2D2 duo. Not a boring moment in this movie, only the times when you got really annoyed with Anakin. 

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Ratings: :) :) :) :) half
The best movie out of those three. This time, I was feeling a bit emotional upon watching the Anakin+Obi Wan scenes. Plus, reminiscing about the old times when Obi Wan was still a Padawan, his role almost insignificant in the first movie (because Qui Gon Jinn was still alive, then evolving into a really vital character in the story, training Anakin since he was 9 till he's 20 something ( I guess), making Obi Wan an older man too. Their relationship is so profound, even empowering Anakin's own love relationship with Padme. 

Anakin falling into the dark side that he would even kill Obi Wan, the closest person he had as a father! 
Obi Wan saying 'You were the chosen one! You were my brother! I loved you!' almost choke me to tears. Then Padme died after giving birth to Luke and Leia Skywalker. Obi Wan giving Luke to Owen Lars (Anakin's stepbrother) and walked away.

It's EPIC I TELL YOU!!!!

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
Ratings: :) :) :)
Princess Leia looks old. That was my first impression. Moving on to C3PO and R2D2's adventures where they met Luke Skywalker. Then Obi Wan Kenobi appeared! My favourite Jedi! Han Solo, played by Harrison Ford and Chewbacca added the flavours.I love Chewbacca! I even attempted to roar like him(?) it. 
Not much thing going on. Personally, I think this episode is overrated. Most of the scenes were filmed at space (duh!) But definitely better than Episode I of course. But less light-saber fighting scenes! :((

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Ratings: :) :) :) :)
Claimed as the best Star Wars movie of the original trilogy. Well, I don't think so. After watching CGI Yoda from Episode I-III, Puppet Yoda seems odd. Yoda in this episode looks and behaves like a mad man (not a man, he is of course). I don't really like Yoda's voice in this movie (although he is voiced by Frank Oz in ALL the movies). But definitely better than A New Hope.

Star Wars Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi (1983)
Ratings: :) :) :) :) half
Now, this is the best movie of the original trilogy. Right from the start, every scene gives me a jaw dropping moment. I love Chewbacca (again, LOL) and this is where Luke told Leia that he is in fact, her twin brother. Then there's the EFFIN CUTE EWOKS!!!! They are so cuddly like teddy bears! This episode is a bit emotional because Darth Vader dies after taking off his mask (and throwing off Darth Sidious down to space-well, something like that). The final scene is supposed to be memorable but it turns out funny as HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN is in it, which later makes me realized that I'm watching the edited version of the episode, LOL.

Upper side: Original Lower: Edited 

So, in a conclusion. I really enjoy watching Star Wars. I know it's kind of late already but heyy, better late than never! :P I must admit that the characters of 'How I Met Your Mother' pretty much influenced me into watching Star Wars, hehe.

This..

I've been wanting to get myself a light saber. So last week I went to the Toys R'Us in Singapore (Malaysia also have, but not at my place) and is flummoxed to find that it is EXPENSIVE!!!! Freaking S$ 35+ of which when we converted it to Malaysia ringgit, it's like  RM 80+!!! And that's just an ordinary light saber. As for the Light Saber FX, it costs RM100+!!! My mom would kill me (with her words) if I were to buy it. 

So, I bid goodbye to the light saber. *sob*. Bila kerja nanti baru nak beli.

Geek. 

6 comments:

Luqman Fauzi said...

Ah, a Star Wars post. How could I not comment? XD

I thought the Obi Wan scene in Revenge of the Sith after he battles Anakin was epic too.

I actually liked puppet Yoda (must be my infatuation with Muppets). He was weird and creepy, but that's what's so awesome about him. CGI Yoda was too badass for me.

Btw, the lightsaber scenes in VI, V and VI aren't as flashy as in the prequels because (according to Lucas) it's been awhile since Jedi's trained and had cool light-saber battles (also: Luke trained sekejap je. Anakin trained for years)

Unlike other Star Wars fans, I'm hoping for more content from Lucas. I don't think Lucas spit on his own franchise because I was never part of the crowd who watched the original version. So it doesn't matter much to me whether Han shot first.

Cool star wars related vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbV5hn_ET0U


Glad you enjoyed Star Wars. Welcome to the fandom.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the comment! Hoho.

Oh yes, have already watched the video of the link given. The kid's expression is amazing! LOL. Unfortunately for me, I've already known that Darth Vader is Luke's father before I even watched Star Wars. So no surprise there, sadly. :(
(Know it from Toy Story 2- Buzz and Zurg, haha).

Me neither. I don't really mind Hayden Christensen appearing in the final scene. Besides, I watched the prequels first before the original trilogy. I kinda like the casts of the prequels, so there (fanatical star wars fan please don't send me death threats, LOL).

vivien tan said...

Star Wars. Can't believe I'm hearing it from another girl. LOL. I haven't watch it yet but guess I can give it a try :P

And ooh, RM80-100 for a light saber is pretty not bad, if you're a fan that's it. LOL.

Sarah said...

Yes Ash Ketchum! YOU MUST WATCH STAR WARS! If you like Pokemon (like you did, or still do?) you'll like Star Wars! :D

Aha, you got me thinking:
"I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, am I?"
Sad... :(

vivien tan said...

Hahahaha. Will get them from mah uni friend then ^^ And I'm wayyy outdated when it comes to Pokemon now. There's like how-many-leagues already? And no, u're just not Star Wars hardcore! ROFL!

Sarah said...

I have no idea! I only remember the ones with Ash Ketchum in it! :P
Ahh, never mind... Never considered myself as a hardcore anyway. :P