Pages

Friday 20 January 2017

setahun jagung no more

Yesterday, the 19th of January 2017 marks the second year of me working as a pharmacist, weehoo! *throws confetti*.

Coincidentally on the same day, this article had been released. You can read this here (click)

To quote a passage from the article

"A provisionally registered pharmacist who wanted to be known only as Wong, 24, said there were a number of drop-outs during internship as some could not cope with the stress."

I totally could relate with this. Been there, done that. 
That one year of PRP was the most horrifying phase of my life. I do not want to experience it ever again, never! I hate my PRP life. But as abhorrent as it was, I did find and encounter good friends and people who treated me with kindness and respect. They are like precious gems among those black ugly coals. Polished and refined, as evident by the way they treat others. 

I do admit that PRP life is hard, especially when you had to undergo your PRP in a hospital that is notorious for its.....never mind. 
As depressing and stressful as it was, never once did I ever think of quitting or giving up. Instead, I couldn't wait for it to be over, I couldn't wait to finish my PRP and now before you knew it, it had already been 2 years! 

TWO YEARS AGO, 

I remember the day I found out I got my posting in this particular state, and the day the postman sent me a letter requiring me to report for duty at JKN 
I remember the day before whereby my mom drove me to show me how to get to H**, in case I get that hospital. 
I remember driving very early in the morning to H**, parked my car there, hopped into my friend's car and off we went to JKN located in the **** building. 
I remember feeling extremely nervous, waiting for them to give us the letters which stated which hospitals shall we be doing our PRP-ship at. 
I remember feeling joyful that I got what I wanted, H**, which means I can just drive there everyday from home, even if it means I have to leave home at 7 in the morning. 
I remember feeling very lonely with no other friend, except for B, who is a guy classmate from uni, whom I wasn't really close with. 
I remember crying in the car after my first day because I was feeling rather overwhelmed with everything that is very new, very strange, hit by the realisation that once I started working, my whole life would change forever. 
Anyway, PRP-ship is a very difficult period for a pharmacist. The trial period that you have to overcome in order for you to become a full-fledged pharmacist. 

Before I started my PRP, no one had warned me that it's going to be really hard, until someone scolded and shouted at me that I was smacked into reality. It was very different from my sheltered university life. Working life is a battle for survival. 

To my juniors who are now working as PRPs in the government hospitals, I wish you all the best. I know that life is harder now, as you guys are working under contract, and that most of you are uncertain with what the future holds. 

But, my advice is, take your own sweet time to learn things. Learn at your own pace. All pharmacists started as stupid PRPs who don't know many things too. It's okay not to know many things.That's why we started off as a PROVISIONALLY Registered Pharmacist, not a FULLY Registered Pharmacist.You will learn many things and gain more experiences as you start working. 

Remember to treat others with kindness and respect, whether they are your superiors, your equals or someone working below you. Never give up. Never lose faith. Never stop praying to God for Him to ease your way. 

Don't ever think of pleasing those people who seemed to always find faults in you. No matter what you did, whether you think you had improved from the first time you started working, most of them won't notice, and some may continue to find reasons to scold you. Some scolded you (some scolded you in front of others for them to see and hear) just for the sake of scolding, (PMS, maybe) while some genuinely want you to improve and would be delighted when you did. You can tell the differences by yourself when you're working with them. 

Take care of your health as you need to be in the best condition to work, what's with those night shifts, weekend shifts, extended hours, on-calls. And oh, you need energy to deal with those patients with erratic behaviours and personalities, also with those FRPs of which some of them might be having undiagnosed multiple personality disorders of their own too. 

(not just saying this happened only in my old workplace, for the same people do exist in all other hospitals in Malaysia). 

Wishing you all the best! Bertahanlah! Be strong!!!! You can do it!!! Only one year as a PRP!!! 

No comments: