Pages

Monday 28 May 2012

And everything happens for a reason. GOOD REASON, that is!


Imagine this. I'm working as a clinical pharmacist at Hospital X.

One day, there is a chronic smoker with chronic obstructive airway disease coming to the hospital, complaining of fatigue and weakness. The doctor diagnosed him with hypertension of 140/90 mmhg and his heart beat reads 110 b/m. The smoker had been given Salbutamol and also Furosemide before. But now, just after the diagnosis, the doctor then decided to prescribe him with  Metoprolol for the treatment of Hypertension.

What if I, the pharmacist just agreed with the doctor's decision?
What if I just carried on, giving the patient Metoprolol without any awareness of the side effects that might occur?

Even after I've graduated from IIUM with a Bachelor of Pharmacy, even after I had my clinical practices for two years, what if I still think that Metoprolol could be given to Asthmatic patients because it is a Beta One selective antihypertensive and thus it does not block Beta Two receptors at the bronchial smooth muscle? That it will not give any effect of bronchoconstriction at all??? 

I think Allah had just saved me from committing even severe mistakes in the future. The mistakes that involve humans' lives. The mistakes that might make my patients died because of my own ignorance and carelessness! *shudder*. Mistakes like this! *deskpalm*. 

It's okay to commit mistakes now. At least you learn. That is the true value of knowledge. You could still gain knowledge from your mistakes IF ONLY you learn from your mistakes. Yup!

So, Alhamdulillah. Thank you Allah! In the future, if I encounter such patient, I'll offer another alternative, which is ACE Inhibitors! Please let the doctors be competent enough as well! :P

With that, may peace be upon you! 

EDIT: Some of my friends are still debating about this. Among the significant answers: METOPROLOL could be given to Asthmatic patients but their conditions need to be monitored. Okay, gonna ask Prof Tariq for the answers pronto! This is a matter of life and death! *gasp*

No comments: