Pages

Friday 11 May 2012

From Last Week...

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.
In the name of Allah the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful.

Last weekend, I had taken the opportunity to get involved in the English Reading Programme (ERP) as a facilitator.
Actually, it was a requirement for the section 3 students to handle it. I'm not from Section 3 but yes, I volunteered because I have nothing else to do on that day (HAHA) and I thought 'Teaching students how to read/ English huh? Why not?' Besides, I love teaching small kids. In fact, I had a very memorable experience of teaching Primary schoolers English for 1 month (everyday!) when I was sixteen and definitely, it was very rewarding when the mother of the kid thanked me, saying her son seemed to have taken some interest in learning English to a greater degree, and that her son said 'Kak Sarah best!' LOL. I don't clamour for the praises and compliments, seriously. I feel that it is my job, our job, to give even a bit of benefit to people who need it. Yeah, jadilah orang yang bermanfaat.

Why do I love teaching small kids? Because they're still not conformed to the typical Malay society where shyness and the feeling of inferiority clouded their hidden sense of confidence and curiosity. Kids are curious, the nearest example would be my littlest brother, Haziq who is only 8. He loves asking all sorts of questions, some of them mind-wrecking, some of the really funny. Haha. Of course, I'd try my best to answer all of his questions. I wanted him to keep asking for more, I don't want to diminish his confidence by saying 'Haziq ni banyak tanya lah! Diam lah!'. Yes, it is probably one of the reasons of most Malay students developed a low confidence level.  I don't know. It's just my theory.

Okay, moving on! This time, let the pictures do the talking. Yes, PICTURES!!! :D

Madam Hayati briefing the students. She reminds me of my mom. LOL


The group of kids from kindergarten to Standard 6? I guess. 
Yang hujung dua orang tu bukan Standard 6. 
Zimah and Fatin handling the games
My other group. I was involved with two groups, the first one- kids from 6-12 years old and yes..this second group, Form 1 students. Seriously, mereka sangat malu, especially the girls! Most probably because of the presence of those guys there. Normal la tu. 


Actually, there are lots of pictures. Ni je yang termampu untuk upload. Muahaha. You get the gist la kan?

Overall, I am very happy, really satisfied! Eh, no, not that satisfied, upon seeing their level of speaking in English, with their confidence level. 

My friend Najwa said 'Mula-mula nak kena handle program ni rasa macam terpaksa. Tapi bila dah buat rasa macam tak puas hati. Simple words pun diorang tak tahu'.

Yes, she's right! But that was the least that we could do, passing even a tiny bit of knowledge that we possess to the people who need it. It's one of 'amalan anak adam' yang takkan terputus walaupun kita meninggal dunia.

I stressed on the importance of reading to them. Reading is very very important. If you love reading so much, trust me, you can survive in this world. Why is that so? Through reading, you could gain knowledge! And having that particular knowledge is even more important and beneficial than having a degree. Just watch 3 Idiots la (though that Amiir Khan was not portrayed as somebody who loves reading, LOL).

Oh yes, just had our batch's 2nd Annual Grand Dinner last night. It was awesome, seriously! To think that stick through thick and thins with your comrades for 2 years, and there's another TWO YEARS left. Sedih, kan? The dinner was held at the Megaview Hotel. The foods, not bad la. :D

Everyone of us who attended the dinner received our own distinctive award. LOL.

Look what I've got:

LOL! It shows that I'm a true Star Wars fan! Muahahaha. 


There's a cactus in the bag! =) I hope this cactus will live for a very long time, so that when I look at it in the old times, I'd remember the great time I had during my undergraduate years :') 

Till then, au revoir! 

4 comments:

Luqman Fauzi said...

Cool. We medic students have programs too, but none like this. It sounds like something I'd like to help out with too XD.

Oh oh. Was everyone cosplaying during the grand dinner? Did you wear that jedi robe? (How come you got the jedi award? lol. Overt sangat ke your love for Star Wars?)

Sarah said...

Amboih Luqman!

Nope. tak jadi cosplaying. Someone said it's kinda 'meniru budaya barat'. D:

For the award; to tell the truth, I have no idea at all! Yeah, overt sangat ke my love for Star Wars?LOL. I don't think so, though I tend to post Star Wars related stuffs to my FB profile and the Rx9's profile. I love Harry Potter more!

Someone got 'The Latecomer' award for always coming late to class. LOL.

And yes, my friend said that the 2nd year medical students ( not sure which section) will be handling the 2nd session of ERP this weekend. Why don't you try asking around? :D

Luqman Fauzi said...

uh oh. What's with the "Amboih"? Did I say something wrong?

Thanks for the info about the ERP session.

Sarah said...

Just responding to 'Overt sangat ke your love for Star Wars?'

LOL. Takde apa2 la. Don't worry. Haha.

Okay, no probs!