Pages

Wednesday 20 February 2013

I used book vouchers to buy books online

Specifically, how to buy books from MPH Online- Where the Bookstore Comes to You. 

My experience:
1. Just order whatever books you wanted from MPH Online. Your purchase must be a minimum of RM100 if you wanted to use the 1 Malaysia Book Vouchers. I bought:

a) Dina Zaman's 'I am Muslim'. Just finished reading it. An enchanting read indeed. :)
Price: RM30.00

Dina Zaman's one of my favourite journalists. People might perceive her as someone liberal (not really, in my opinion) and this book features some people who practised liberalism in Islam. Non-practising Muslims and all. Strangely, this book makes me love Islam more. Haha. I love this book. 


b) Yasmin Mogahed's 'Reclaim Your Heart', which is not available is any of the bookstore I have frequented, and that it is freaking expensive for such a thin book (168 pages only!) ;( and so I use the book voucher to buy it instead of my own money. xD
Price: RM 81.80 >_<

Yasmin Mogahed is one of my favourite Muslim speakers. She's a journalist too. I read her articles on her website, listened to her podcasts,watched youtube videos about her and subscribed to her facebook page and I ADMIRE HER! I really wanted to get my hands on this book. Dear Yasmin Mogahed, I love you and your writings, but why does this book have to be so expensive? :(( . For us Malaysians at least. 



(images googled)

2. So, the total purchase amounts to RM111.80. I decided to just use RM100 out of the total of RM250 of book vouchers and I have to pay the remaining RM11.80 when the book arrives.

But you're going to pay it using ONE MALAYSIA BOOK VOUCHERS! It's not as easy as the conventional Maybank 2u Online Banking! Well, here is how it goes.

Yesterday, I received a call from IIUM Kuantan Customers' Service Department (Have no idea this department exists) and she directed me to the IIUM Kuantan's Pos Malaysia Office, which is located at the Kulliyyah of Medicine building.

The very cool Post officer said that a parcel had arrived for me to collect it and to present my book vouchers and give the remaining money to him.

What? Do I really have to go to KOM (Kulliyyah of Medicine) to collect it? Pfftt.
What's more, he said that I need to have the official stamp from my kulliyyah. MPH Bookstores required me to do that, as a proof that I'm a student of IIUM. LOL.
SUCH A HASSLE, RIGHT? I regretted using the vouchers to buy books online. Well, only for that brief moment.

And so, as my 2 hours of Ethics and Law in Pharmacy *yawn* class starts at 15:00, I had to walk from my mahallah, under the hot scorching sun to Kulliyyah of Medicine to retrieve the parcel. The awesome Post Officer gave me two forms. One of them yellow in colour, the other pink. I need to have them stamped with the Kulliyyah's official stamp/cop mohor whatever la then only I can go back to KOM and get my books.

Again, I had to walked to KOP from KOM under the burning heat of the sun. 

From KOM to KOP to get the stamp: 1x
From KOP to KOM to collect the parcel: 1x
From KOM to KOP to attend the class: 1x
A total of 3 times. Ok bye.

3. So, that's all. It might seems like a hassle, but if you have your own car/means of transportation other than your own pair of sturdy legs, it would be okay.

Notice that I do not offer a detailed guide or steps on purchasing books from MPH using the book vouchers. For more info, just log on to www.mphonline.com.my

4. I'm thinking of buying more books through MPH Online. Books that I could not find in real bookstores. *sobs*. 

5. I have RM150 left. I'm thinking of buying Dr. Farish A. Noor's books

a) What Your Teacher Didn't Tell You: The Annexe Lectures Volume 1. It's like a true history of Malaysia or something. I'm a history buff, in case you didn't know.
RM40



b). Qur'an and Cricket: Travels Through the madrasahs of Asia and other stories. 
RM40


c) Tina Fey's Bossypants
RM35.90


But Maybe, just maybe, maybe I should take the pleasure of roaming around a REAL bookstore first and see what they have to offer, and thus, spend my remaining vouchers there. If I do not find any book that interests me (I highly doubt it), then MPHOnline again it is! 

MPH Bookstores belongs to Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Al-Bukhary- Awesome Post Officer told me. 

May Peace Be Upon Us All! :) 

3 comments:

a said...

Yo Sarah! I believe the above proves two of my theories :
-The university staff are stupid :p
-Kuantan sucks :/
I wish I had this book voucher thing xD Enjoy reading your books, what I really need are articles *serious face*

Sarah said...

Hey Luna! Still in a bad mood? Haha.

Well actually, the procedures required me to do the things above. I was a bit upset at first but I gotta accept it as there's nothing I can do to change it. XD

Furthermore, this also shows how in love I am towards books that I'm willing to walk from a far distance away, under the sun just to get them. Haha.

I know you're having a really bad time Luna and I'm 100% sure that everything will be ok in the end. Cheer up! Be the optimistic Luna that I met on the first time. Haha. I'll pray that you'll fit in here. Inshaa Allah. :)

a said...

it's amazing, that's the spirit!
i'll do my best as well :p thanks