Pages

Friday 1 February 2013

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Instead of 'Please  Look After Mother' by Kyung Sook Shin, I bought this: 

Image

 I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this book residing at the lowest shelf of the 'Young Adult' section at MPH Bookstore Amanjaya Mall. I have been looking out for this book for ages! (This is an exaggeration of course xD).

And so, I have made a firm, unwavering decision towards buying this book. What triggers and entices me to get a hold of this book is due to its collection of old-fashioned, black and white pictures. Those pictures are so mysterious and they hold some 'dark', eerie, macabre elements that are fascinating to people like me who loves ghost stories and mysterious stuffs. xD 

Having gotten used towards reading contemporary fictions and literary fictions to the likes of Tan Twan Eng and Haruki Murakami, it took quite some time for me to familiarize myself with the generally cliche and predictable storyline of this young adult genre. I have this unyielding conviction that the reason this book becomes an international bestseller (as what claimed on the front cover) is MAINLY due to, like I said; the unique collection of pictures that were attached together in these books, which served as visual aids. 

Ransom Riggs, the author of this book had initially arranged the photos and wrote out the story based on these photos. This is not an original idea but his effort should be well applauded because this is the first time I ever came across such book. 

I am currently in the midst of reading and finishing it. So far, the plot is quite average, to my disappointment; and it failed to evoke the sinister emotion that R.L Stine had successfully instilled in his readers through his 'Goosebumps' and 'Fear Street' series.  I hope that the story will get better as the plot progresses. 

I found a movie/book trailer of this book. It is said that Tim Burton would direct/is directing it. 


What about 'Please Look  After Mother'? My roommate happens to possess it and I decided to just borrow it from her. I am a fast reader after all. :P 

With that, may peace be upon us all! 

5 comments:

Luqman Fauzi said...

I remember being terrified of my own shadow after reading Goosebumps (and those terrific illustrations on the book covers!) but that was ~12 years ago. Do Goosebumps books still give you the creeps? Just wondering. I stopped reading them a long time ago, and I don't think they'd scare me much now. If the situation is similar with you, then isn't it weird to compare a book you're reading now as an adult with ones your younger self used to?

Sarah said...

It's quite embarrassing for me to say this. You see.. Goosebumps and the Fear Street series (especially the Fear Street) still give me the creeps! And I love that kind of feeling! Haha. I guess I allowed myself to be consumed by that emotion. xD

a said...

Hello, hello! it's a relief to finally see a post on this blog xD The pictures are intriguing indeed, and they do tell a better story than words. Let me know how the story ends :D

Sarah said...

I'm abandoning the story. At least for a while. This is a bad habit that I have gotten used to. Dx

a said...

lol good luck with that xD