Pages

Sunday 7 September 2014

Heavenly-Chocolatey!!!

Hello comrades. It's another episode of "Sarah's Culinary Adventures". 

A week ago, childhood friend Jem (we've been friends since we were 9) suggested that we should have a some sort of a cooking adventure. Thus, she came to my house and she brought all the necessary pre-measure ingredients used to bake her famous amous moist chocolate cake!  

She even so kindly typed the recipe of the moist chocolate cake and printed it out! :')


So basically, the instructions are there. So comprehensive!

Jem brought out the ingredients from her carrier bag and I took out the baking utensils from the box.

It's the same procedure as my first attempt of baking, it's just that this time, I did not use any instant cake mixture. Trust me, it's better not to do so.

And from baking sifu Jem, I learned some handy things about baking.

  1. You don't have to wait until the butter is softened/melted to mix it. You can just do it right there and then. It was difficult to mix as the butter is still in its solid form, but it will turn out all right in the end. Just keep mixing and maintain the same medium to high mixing speed. 
  2. You can use 2 mixer whips at the same time *headpalm*. No wonder I took a really long time to mix my cake batter last time. Hahaha. 
  3. How to double boil the chocolate to make chocolate syrup. I was so fascinated!!! 
We pre-heated the old oven my mother inherited from my late grandmother for 5 minutes at 170 degrees celsius. 

The cake batter was ready, we divided it by transferring into 2 cake tins and put them into the oven to bake for 45 minutes. 

Halfway through the baking process, we smelled some sort of the familiar burning smell. Oh nooo..not again!!!

Jem checked the cake and yeah, it turned out that the cake placed at the top row of the oven had burnt to its distinctive charcoal black colour, hahaha. 

Jem laughed and said it was the first time this ever happening to her. 

To which I gleefully said "It means that I was not at fault before this! It wasn't my fault that my cake burnt! The oven is the culprit!!!" Yaaay!!

And Jem agreed "Yes, it's not your fault". 

So ladies and gentleman, I'm a good first time baker. It's the oven's fault. xD

 Jem tried to salvage the burnt cake by scraping off the burnt bits and edges. 

The cake of the 2nd row of the oven turned out all right, alhamdulillah. 

Jem prepared the chocolate syrup using the double boiling method (as stated in the recipe). 

The best part was pouring the syrup over the moist chocolate cake!

Tadaaa!!! Presenting, Chocolate Moist Cake with Chocolate Syrup topping, best served chilled together with vanilla ice cream. Jem's hands there... :P

It tastes heavenly chocolatey!!! :D My mom cut half of the cake and brought it to her workplace, telling her friends that "My daughter baked it :P" She spruced it up a little, adding chocolate rainbow sprinkles.


I think I'm beginning to love baking. I love watching baking tutorials on youtube (LOL) and there are several kinds cakes that I want to bake someday.

Rainbow cake. It's basically vanilla flavoured cake dyed with different colours. 

Ombre cake. Similar to a rainbow cake, but with slightly different shades of the colour spectrum

.Strawberry cheesecake/any other cheesecakes

And someday, I would love to learn how to decorate cakes, hahaha... I have this dream of opening up a coffee+tea+cakes+books cafe...How lovely would that be. 

Okay, THE END. 

Disclaimer: The last three images are tumblr-ed. :D 

No comments: