Pages

Friday 19 September 2014

Whovian

I didn't know what to expect of this series when I first 'obtained' it from Jem, a school friend. I've heard of Dr Who. My friend Maddy (another school friend) started being obsessed with this show after we finished our SPM. I thus checked the wikipedia on what this series is all about. What...It had been aired since 1963? With TEN doctors(all of them played by different actors) to date (as in 2008)? Do I have to watch from the beginning or something? Never mind..


Then, university years began. A friend of mine who goes under the pseudonym 'The Batman' had been raving about the 'wonderful world' of Dr Who. Sort of. Said that I gotta try watching it. All right all right. . 

I clicked one episode titled 'Love and Monsters' on the Daily Motion site and was surprised to see an alien monster like the one I saw in Power Rangers-a favourite childhood show, plus the 10th doctor and Rose, running around and away from the alien like a scene in Scooby Doo. 


What is this? People actually love this series? It's so childish! Fake monsters and all. Pfftt...(I gotta admit, I was a pompous so-called adult back then)

I used to love this kind of show and back then when I was a kid, I couldn't fathom why adults don't like watching Power Rangers. I didn't realize that I had turned into one of those adults. Dr Who is not for me, I guess.

In 2013, Google created a brilliant Google Doodle/Games to commemorate the 50th anniversary of this series. I had fun playing it and even created a record of finishing the whole game in just 4 minutes! Dr Who must be something big. 

And thus in 2014, after finishing the 1st season of Gilmore Girls, I decided that I should give this series a try.
I had mixed feelings when I first watched it. I didn't like Rose Tyler. I didn't like the 1st episode. So phony with cheap editing. Then later, the episode went back in time to the Dickensian era, and I realized that Dr Who is not entirely about aliens and spaceships played around in Star Trek sets, they are showcased in more creative settings with supernatural elements in them. Those supernatural elements perceived as 'Ghosts' are of course...aliens.

Rose Tyler and the Ninth Doctor

I forced myself to watch more episodes and couldn't wait for the ninth doctor to regenerate into the tenth doctor played by David Tennant ( I originally wanted to watch Dr Who because of him as I couldn't get enough of him in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Hahaha)

But later on, I found myself hooked to the show.My first favourite episode would be 'Father's Day', of which Rose and the Doctor went back to the past and she saved her father, leading to undesirable consequences due to the interference with time/fate.
Then, in 'Empty Child', I was introduced to a very handsome man, Captain Jack Harkness! 'Empty Child' is one of the best episodes of 'Doctor Who', in my opinion, and it's not just because of Jack Harkness. :P

You'll like him, Lisa. xD

By then, I had grown accustomed to Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor, and by the time he regenerated into the once-much-anticipated tenth doctor, I had a brief moment of resentment  with David Tennant. It took time to get used to him being the Doctor. And it seemed like he did not care much about Rose like how Eccleston did.

the tenth doctor 

But as I progressed through series 2, I had begun to adapt the idea and to accept the fact that both the 9th and 10th Doctor are the same doctor. Their physical appearances might change, with a bit of quirky traits here and there upon regeneration,  but they are the same doctor. From the 1st till the existing 12th Doctor, they are the same.  

And that both of them love Rose Tyler. This is not a love story all right. But their friendship/comradeship managed to stir my emotions right until the end of the series. 

At the end of the second series, titled 'Doomsday', the 10th doctor, together with Rose had reopened the void which then sucked the Daleks and Cybermen into it in a vacuum-like manner. Rose was almost sucked into it as well, but was rescued in time by Peter, who then transported her to the parallel world. By then, the void had been closed. No one could go in or out of it.

As a result, the 10th doctor couldn't go to the parallel universe, and Rose couldn't return to the real world. They couldn't meet each other. Ever.Again. It is really sad when both the Doctor and Rose standing in front of the wall, trying to accept the fact that they lost each other.

(though I read on wikipedia that Rose will appear again in an episode or 2 in series 4)

This episode breaks my heart. I kinda cried when I saw the Doctor cried. :((

He's cute when he cries though. :P

I now get the idea of why people like 'Dr Who'. The moment I told myself that I wanted to build a Tardis, I know that I had transformed into a Whovian.

Now, there are about 5 series left in my harddisk. I am dreading, and and at the same time, anticipating the next moment of regeneration into the 11th Doctor, and the 12th. I might resent the new actors playing the Beloved Doctor for a while, and I might compare their portrayals of the Doctor, but I know that even if there are 100 Doctors, they would always be the same doctor. 

Well, it's kinda late for me to join in the fandom, there's a lot of catching up to do. :P
But heyy..better late than never!

Images googled

2 comments:

Luqman Fauzi said...

Finally. FINALLY.

Welcome to the fandom, Sarah. I'm impressed you actually finished Eccleston's season.

You felt sad when Eccleston regenerated? Ohoho...then you are in for a treat with Tennant and Smith.

If you ever feel like it, watch the Doctor Who movie. It's cheesy as hell, but Paul McGann is the one who started the whole Dcotor being romantic thing. (And he's awesome as hell. Despite only being in the movie, he's my favourite doctor. He's the reason I started listening to audio books)

Now I wanna blog about Doctor Who XD

Sarah said...

Hello fellow Ravenclaw Whovian!
Eh why? You didn't finish that particular season?

Yup, I could sense it already. Tennant does not disappoint me so far, and the series get better and better with each episode (currently almost finishing series 3). And that I originally watched Dr Who because of him. xP

I hope the whole romantic Dr Who thing is not too overly cheesy as in being a ladies'man like James Bond. D:

Yes, you should blog about it! Like, 10 reasons why you should watch Dr Who or what you can learn from Dr Who or something. You're already an expert.. Hahaha. Thanks for the comment anyway. :D