Pages

Sunday 17 July 2011

Cheapo

Assalamualaikum and hello all. :)

The recent trip (well, about 2 weeks ago) to Chowrasta and look what I've bought. (Chowrasta is awesome as usual).


ELEVEN Sweet Valley Books for a total price of RM28!

Yes, only RM28! 
I usually buy a brand new novel from MPH Bookstores for the price of RM33++

But this, ELEVEN books? But still, the total price is considered expensive as those are 2nd hand books and some of them are not in mint conditions (whaddaya expect? LOL) Next time gonna bargain more! Say, RM20! The skill of bargaining is highly essential, even in buying books! Muahahaha.

At first the bookseller put a price of RM25 for 8 books (mahal giler kan?)
Then I flirted with him a bit and got them for RM20 (still expensive, right??) 

Next time must flirt more! LOL. And I've made my own 'negotiating-for-the-least-possible-price-of-books' points. Things that should be considered
-Condition of books
-Year of publication
-and others (think up the points yourself! :P)

Then off you go to present your points on why you should get 10 books for RM 10 instead of RM20 (never tried that, but going to ) to the bookseller. You should present your points in a persuasive yet non aggressive manner. It's a bonus if you know how to act. And if you're a naturally annoying and irritating person, you could always try to annoy the bookseller to the core by continuously pestering him until he finally relents on selling the books for your named price. 

I finished reading all eleven books in 10 days. Well, not exactly a book a day. It depends on my mood. I once read 3 Sweet Valley books in just one day. I was bored. 

For now, the total number of books (most of them fictions) that I've read from April 2011 till now (as of yesterday) is 24, if I'm not mistaken (the number includes the 11 Sweet Valley books).

Now I'm halfway reading Betsy Carter's 'Orange Blossom Special'. Gonna finish it today. I intend to finish another 4 books before August, which is before Ramadhan so that I could make a new list of books to be read during Ramadhan. 

Why fictions? You see, sometimes you could learn a greater deal about life by reading fictions (because they tell you stories that relate to you) as compared to reading non-fictions. But then again, I have my dose of non-fictions too. I don't always read fictions. And no, I do not read stupid political blogs.

And yes, why Sweet Valley? I first read Sweet Valley when I was 10 and it is quite delightful to reread stuffs that you read when you were young. ( I still read Doraemon comics xD) Besides, Sweet Valley books are no longer published and are now unavailable in major bookstores like MPH. So, they are rare and precious in a way. 

Have a pleasant day, everyone! 

8 comments:

fikah mus said...

Photos of books never fail to amaze me!!
Jelesnya banyak dah buku Sarah dah habis baca.

Sarah said...

Me too! *High five!*

Sebab takde benda sangat nk buat time cuti,tu sebab baca buku je. xD
Kan best kalau buku2 akademik pun boleh baca banyak macam ni. :((

ummu said...

yeah,ficton rocks..lol

sarah,u really have to buy me some books from that awesome shop...so jealous...
i've just spent bout rm50 for TWO books only and u got ELEVEN books for rm28!!!
wish Chowrasta is here in Malacca..:)

i read SVU bout ten years ago i think...they're good books..^^

Sarah said...

Ummu, you should come to Penang! :D
Baru boleh borong buku banyak2.
I'm sure banyak buku Stephen King kat situ (though of course, you've read most of his books xD)

They sell new books for RM25 I think. The ones which normally cost RM30+ in bookstores.

Out of the Sweet Valley franchise, I love Sweet Valley Twins the best. More innocent la kot. Sweet Valley High, University semua best gak cuma byk sgt lovey dovey adult stuffs. :P

MM said...

wow! i dont like buying books coz i aint know how to choose fun-to-read books. but when sumbody offers me lending books, haha, i'll just take them. XD owh i can see books uve bought are of romance sarah yep?? :P
sarah,ever read ' hunger point'??
they'd turned it into film too!

Sarah said...

Hello Muna. Nope, not all of them are romance books. Hahah. I don't really like romance books anyway.

Hunger Point? Hunger games pernah dengar, tapi tak pernah baca. Haha. Banyak sangat buku kat luar tu. Tak terbaca. >.<

Thanks for the comment! :)

Shuba Nambiar said...

Hi, do u still have d sweet valley series?? I'm a serious buyer..

Sarah said...

Hello Shuba!
Haha, sorry, but those books are not for sale. They are for my own personal collection. Sorry again! ^_^