Pages

Saturday 23 September 2017

While Sunny was Sleeping

I am the kind of person who, upon chancing upon things that I eventually had taken a fancy on, would do that thing over and over again. Get it? No?

For example, if I like a certain food in this restaurant, I would keep on ordering the same thing until I got tired of it. The waiter would also eventually recognize my face and the food that I ordered so that the next time I came to the eatery, she would finish off my sentence when I was about to begin ordering the same menu. 

If I listened to a song and that it captured both my heart and ears I would listen to that song on a repeat mode over and over again, eventually memorizing the lyrics later on. 

If I started watching a particular movie, and that the movie had left a profound effect on me; simply said, if the movie managed to touch my heart, I would watch the movie again, up to 4 times in a week. By that time, I would have memorized almost all the dialogues in the movie. 

In the year 2017, currently there are 2 movies that I had loved so dearly, and that I had watched for more than 3 times in a month (or week, LOL). 

Those two movies are:
1. While You Were Sleeping (1995) starring Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman. 


This story is the sweetest rom-com I have ever watched. No love triangle whatsoever, no excessive conflicts, the hero and heroin are ordinary people with ordinary jobs (no fancy CEO of a company, multimillionaire if you know what I mean), and oh I have to make a list of my thoughts regarding this movie.  

a) I love Sandra Bullock. She's working at the ticket counter of the train station. She has no family, only a cat as her pet. She lives alone (with her cat-not so alone I guess) in an apartment. She is just an ordinary simple woman who does not really have much fashion sense or even desire to doll up herself, wearing minimal makeup (no way that was her bare face but still, she's pretty),  wearing the same jacket throughout the story (belonged to her late Father, as it turned out to be). She has a dream of traveling to Florence, Italy, but does not have the means to do so. The reason I like her character so much is probably because her life kinds of resonates with mine. Not really, I mean, I just know how she feels. I guess. *looks away* 

b) Bill Pullman has the sweetest smile ever. I would smile and swoon whenever he smiled and gazed intently towards Sandra Bullock. Bill Pullman is a guy who manages a family business (of buying furniture from dead people LOL) but yearning to pursue his own dream of designing furniture. Did I mention he has a really charming smile? And that his hair looks good in this movie?

Look at that gaze!

And that smile! 

c) The Callaghan family. Close-knitted family who are always grouped together whenever there is an event, whenever they go, even the time when Bill Pullman proposed to Sandra Bullock. 

He brought his entire family along when he proposed to the woman he loves! At the train station! Forget getting down on your knees or proposing at a fancy restaurant. 

d) I like the fact that this movie is more family-oriented. For example, from being totally alone with no family member of her own, Sandra Bullock finally got to experience the sweetness of being in a supportive and caring family. Seriously, the Callaghans are so sweet! Another example would be Bill Pullman not willing to forsake his relationship with his brother just for the sake of being together with Sandra Bullock even though the both of them really liked each other! He knows that he should not steal his brother's fiance! The moral of this story: Relationship between two brothers (or siblings) should always trump a romantic relationship! I like this premise! 

e) I also like it when Sandra Bullock found and achieved everything she ever wanted in the end. A family, soulmate, and that her dream of going to Florence came true. All because she saved Peter in the beginning of the movie. It shows that kindness goes a long way. Also it teaches you to be patient. When the right time comes, everything will fall into place, in just a short time. In this case, it was just for a one week duration when Peter Callaghan was 'sleeping' (read: comma). 

f). There are only two kissing scenes in this movie. The simple, brief one under the mistletoe and the more passionate one at the end of the movie (when he proposed and they got married). So, a feel-good, family-friendly movie. 

g) And that Bill Pullman and Sandra Bullock started falling in love with each other after talking all night, realizing they had something in common, that they are strangely attracted to each other. No matter how cliche this idea is, I am a hopeless romantic and I totally support this idea. 

h) The background music. Oh, I would smile dreamily whenever the 'Love Theme' came out during the appropriately meaningful scenes. This music is one of the best, ever! 

i) The movie was made and released in 1995. I have a penchant for good old movies. And since I was born in 1990, I did not have much time to appreciate and enjoy the 90s'. I was just a kid! And so, looking at this movie, I experienced this nostalgic feeling or yearning for the past years and memories. 

Overall, a really feel-good movie. I had watched 'Sleepless in Seattle' and trust me, While You Were Sleeping is 100 times better than the former whereby the main characters only met in the last 5 minutes of the movie pfftt.. 


2. Sunny (2011) starring Shim Eun Kyung, Kang Sora and many others. 



Okay, I had heard of this movie before, I read a bit of the synopsis years ago, and I knew back then that one of the characters are going to die. So, nope. I don't want to watch any tear-jerking melodrama, even if the trailer seemed contrary to what I had in mind. 

Anyway, I first watched this movie with my family during the Raya Haji holiday last month. I liked it. Very much. I ended up downloading the movie, watched it for another two times. I discovered the existence of the 'Director's Cut' version on youtube, downloaded it and watched it until tears streamed down my eyes (this Director's Cut is no joke). So, that makes it, 4 times already? And oh, I watched it again with Fatin, who had not watched it before. So, 5 times? Wow. 

Now, the reasons of why I like this movie. 

1. The music. I am so addicted to Richard Sanderson's 'Reality'. In fact, I keep on replaying that particular scene where this song was played. I also love 'Time after Time' by Tuck and Patti. The musics are all from the 80s era, my cup of tea, exactly. 

2. Kang Sora and the character she played, Ha Chun-Hwa. She is the best out of those seven girls in the group. I like the scene where she kicked and fought those who got on her and her friends' ways  during that demonstration on the street. Being the group leader, she is fiercely protective and loyal towards her friends. She even takes care of them until after she died (spoilers!).

And she's so pretty!!! 

3. The 1980s'. I wished someone would invent a time-travel machine so that I could go visit the years of the past. 

4. The hilarious and heartwarming scenes. Of them fighting on the street, of Im Na Mi watching the CD of the video they recorded when they were teenagers, of Na Mi finally forgetting and leaving the memories of her first love, and also the ending credits. You must watch the ending credits! 

Watching this movie, and other watch-worthy dramas such as Misaeng and Signal, I really envy those who had managed to create these movies and scripts that touched the viewers' hearts. It makes me lament for the substance-lacking Malaysian dramas and movies (except for a selected few) that are so...cringe-worthy and full of fluffs. 

I really hope that I could write something that touches my readers' hearts. In that case, I know that I must try my best to write from my heart, so that it could touch other people's hearts, insya Allah.

With that, thank you for reading! 

Disclaimer: Images are googled. 

No comments: