Pages

Thursday 21 February 2008

My Childhood Memory...

Uhhmm.I have been studying in Convent Father Barre since 1999 till 2007. Do the mathlah..so lazy.But yes, I'm the 'anak jati' Convent! Haha..Yes. I attended Convent Muar from 1997-1998.
And, I have heard lots and lots of 'enchanting'stories about my sooooo beloved schools.....:P
Okay, starting with Convent Muar. It is quite big, and the designs and structure of the school is quite old fashioned, you knowlah..a little bit of Christian architecture... Almost looked like a church with all those old fashioned windows, dark alleyways, dark old fashioned staircases,really big hall and high stage with old piano, spacious dressing room at the back, old designed toilets with washrooms...A small forest at the back of it. And yeah ,the toilets are very spacious! Two storeys of toilets. Especially the end one. And there are big windows too...Haih, I'm not talking about toiletlah...ya, the porch for the headmistress' car, three flag poles, and even the school song is in English!

Okay, and so, this particular school, got lots and lots of big, shady trees. The students were always talking about pontianak living in those trees. And really, I was just a kid, and at the roots of the tree, I saw something like a finger, with a long nail. My wild imagination told me that it might be the finger of a pontianak who's trapped in the trees. Many of the students suspected this too. Really, it REALLLLLLYYYYY looks like a finger! And what's worst, there is a steel chain attached to the trees. um dunno how to explain. the both sides of the chain, they are kind of like... inserted into the the bark of the trees. Now, it's really-really difficult to do that and secondly, why on Earth would someone wants to insert a steel chain into the tree?

So, we made an assumption. The chain is used to choke the victim's neck. Haha..

I don't know whether that chain's still there. I went to visit Muar last year, from Singapore, right after Raya..Reminiscing the memories that I once had, my old house, my old kindergarten..Joy's Kindergarten..ehh..it still exists! And the playpens that I've used to play together with my old friends are still there! Although they really looked kind of shabby...:( Of course, 11 years already, what? And I vividly remember, most of the teachers and students there are Chinese. There was this boy, Hansen who kept on disturbing me and my friends there. I don't know where is he now! Haha.And my kindergarten friends, of course.Muar is an old small town with sooo many old houses. I love old houses....Yup, and there are lots of iguanas there.Really big iguanas who feed on rats.

And of course, the small town that I have used to live has changed, a LOT! For example, the wooden shops by the river banks are now replaced with new, brick shops, the playground by the sea.. and the swings that I've used to play has now being replaced by new ones! Of course...So old already... And the seats by the river, My mum used to bring us there, watching the sunset, and I would always point to the end of the river, to the sun when my mother asked me where was my father at that time. Haha.. he was at U.K ..I was only seven, I don't know where the heck is U.K. So stupid at the age of seven.There is the stadium, where we watched the marchings during Independence Day, a real castle, situated by the river, The castle is owned by the Sultan of Johor. Istana Hinggap. So many well known schools such as the Muar High School and the Sultan Abu Bakar's Girls' School. Just like the Convent in SP, Convent Muar is also situated next to St. Theresa's School. There's also St Andrews' School.And there's a bridge over the river which connects the town to Melaka. And the journey to Mount Ledang is only 30 minutes ride.
In 1999, we shifted to the now Sungai Petani...

And honestly, when we came back to Muar, going back to the places we once went, reminiscing the memories we had, either sweet or bitter, I feel a slight tinge of sadness. I can't believe how many years have passed. I mean, it can't be that long, right? Imagine, I have left the place for more than ten years! I came as a child and I returned as a young woman.Haha. Almost..
The playpens where I have used to play with my friends, the teachers there...The stage on which I have received the prize for being the third in class, and yeah, again..the teachers. Puan Aida, my Standard 1 class teacher, Puan Hanum ,my strict English teacher, Puan Goh, who used to poke my head using sharp pencils whenever I couldn't answer the complicated Maths questions.
The canteen where my mum used to come and eat with me during recess, the path to the gate where my dad used to wait for me when going home, my old friends...Fairuzi, Tan, Grace, Liyana, Sheila, Airin, Hasmira, Raihan, Mastura and many-many more! Wow, I still remember their names! I don't know whether they still remember me or not?
Well, the past is past. I still have the picture of me together with my friends and teachers in the kindergarten and school.
I don't know why am I becoming so emotional suddenly. I have returned back to the town after 10 years, just visiting, of course. And I will return back there soon.. who knows, in another 10 years? Those childhood days are so carefree. I do not need to worry much as I do right now..And also, I could never return to those days again..
And the school song...

Convent School
Through the school gates in the morning,
As the bell rings out for class,
All in blue and white you see us,
As in double file we pass,
As the years slip by in studies,
Busy hours of work and play, As we learn the greatest lesson -
How to live life's little day......
Chorus: Keep the school torch burning,
Through the days of learning,
Time is precious as the hours fly by so fast,
Cheerfully obeying, all together staying,
One in spirit, one in heart,
In our Convent School.
Though the sun may not be shining,
There's a hidden silver trend,
If you turn the clouds inside out,
You'll find it in the end;
In the search for truth and knowledge,
Happy-hearted, light and free,
Strong in duty to our calling,
Loyal Convent girls we'll be.......
Faithful to the pattern set us,
In the years that follow on,
We'll remember all the lessons,
Like the verse of some sweet song;
All the hours we spent together,
In the classroom hall or field,
And our hearts will turn as memories burn,
Dear Convent School to you..........

I miss my old school! :(

No comments: