Pages

Monday 25 August 2014

IIUM Pharmacy 101: "Novice Researchers Programme"- Research Project 1

In my previous post, I had explained some important parts about the subject 'Literature Search' which is offered to Pharmacy students of IIUM. 
In this post, I'm going to continue to Part 2 on the self-named IIUM Pharmacy's "Novice Researchers Programme", (because it really exposed you to the world of research and researchers) this time about the subject 'Research Project 1'. 

Research Project 1 

How to Register for this Subject 
The subject 'Literature Search' is a prerequisite for 'Research Project 1 and 2'. It means that, if you feel like doing cool research works in the laboratories, you are required to undergo the arduous tasks of collecting data and information in Literature Search first. You could not simply just go to the supervisor and tell him/her "I want to take Research Project. Please give me anything to work on". 

This is because your Research Project 1 and 2 are based on the findings of your Literature Search. Once you had fully understood everything about your research title after intense months of gathering facts and figures in Literature Search, you can now proceed to your Research Project 1.

What exactly is Research Project 1?
Research Project 1 is where you have to do the practical parts of the research. In simple words, you're gonna have to work in the laboratories, doing experiments by following the experimental procedures you had prepared in your research proposal (Literature Search). 

The Process
To continue your research works by doing research project, naturally you should go to your LS supervisor as she already knows about your research and could help you with it. 
Again you should discuss with her about the experimental procedures, what apparatus/materials/chemicals that should be used, when should you begin, when to use the laboratory, that kind of thing. 

You had to fill in a form to request for the apparatus/materials/chemicals from the Science Officer of your respective department. Chemicals are hard to obtain. I had to wait for a looonggg time for 'n-Hexane' to be available but later on Dr A said that we can use Petroleum Ether instead *headpalm*. 

I did my research on this particular plant for LS. But unfortunately, the plant could not be obtained and Dr A suggested that we used another plant instead. So, I used that plant as a subject for my Research Project. Different plant with the same purpose of study -to investigate the potential antimicrobial activity of this plant by using the Checkerboard Assay Method (google it). 

The Challenges
Being an undergraduate Pharmacy student cum Research Project candidate is very challenging. We had classes everyday from 8 am to 5 pm. It was almost impossible to squeeze in 'Lab works' to your timetable.Most labs are not opened during the weekend, unless there are Masters students working in the lab. 
Plus, the 'dedicated' Pakcik Guard wouldn't give you the key to your lab even if you obtained permission from the lecturer, just because of the very fact that you're just an undergraduate student and that it's against the rules to give lab keys to you immature people. PREPOSTEROUS! 

In fact, I remember the very time when I walked under the hot scorching sun from my mahallah to the Kulliyyah, only to find out that it was closed ( public holiday and I didn't realize it *banghead*). I called the Pakcik guard and he went to the Kulliyyah. I asked for the lab key from him and he requested for my matric card. Then he said that undergraduate students are not allowed to have the access to the lab even after I told him that Dr A gave me the permission to use the lab. 

I got so angry and disappointed that I almost cried under the hot scorching sun on my way back to the Mahallah. *dramatic much?* 

So most of us went to the laboratory during recess (10-10.30 am) or during lunch break (1-2pm). Some of us had the 'privilege' to stay in the lab until night time, depending on which lab you are using. 

Due to these reasons (lack of time, undergrads not allowed to use the lab on weekend), 90% of us did not manage to complete our research projects on that particular semester. Thus, we obtained the status 'IP' which means 'In Progress' for this subject. 

The First Semester 
I had to to extract this plant. I cleaned it, dried it using the oven, grind it into powder form, dissolve it with solvents (Petroleum Ether and Propanone) for 3 days to obtain the chemical constituents responsible for the antimicrobial activity. After 3 days, I had to filter it using the gravitational filtration method and further concentrate it using the Rotary Evaporator machine (Rotavapor).

Rotary Evaporator (image googled) 

Back then, there was only ONE Rotavapor available in the whole of Kulliyyah of Pharmacy. That rotavapor is not in Dr A's lab. Instead, it was in Dr T's lab. So I had to ask for Dr T's permission to use the rotavapor at his lab. And in the lab, there was a postgraduate student using that one rotavapor, so we're gonna have to share it, don't we? But the postgraduate students there (Sis P and Bro A) were very helpful. They taught me how to use the rotavapor- there are various settings such as temperature, rotational speed, pressure, etc. They even gave me the key to the lab! How very thoughtful! 

So yes, I had to juggle between  the huge number of assignments, quizzes, hospital attachments, co-curricular activities (compulsory!) with having to go up to the lab to do lab works.

May I enlighten you that I used 2 types of plants and that for each one of them, I'm gonna have to dissolve them in 2 different solvents and extract them 3 times for every 3 days. In short, I had to do a total of 6 extractions. Mind you that it took a lot of time for me to carry out the filtration and evaporation methods. I carried out the filtration method in Dr A's lab and that I had to walk up the stairs to the next level to use the rotavapor. 

I later realized that I couldn't carry out the next step of my research project at such a short time period. which is the determination of antimicrobial effects (synergistic/antagonistic/additive) using the Checkerboard Assay. So, yours truly had to postpone her research project and to continue it the following semester. 

The Second Semester
It was the first semester of my final year, and I was quite ready to continue with my research project *researcher's mode ON* 
I was then greeted with two news: Good one and Bad one. 

The Good News: Dr A said that I only need 4 days to finish my research project
The Bad News: 4 CONSECUTIVE days 

I could only laugh. There is no way that a Pharmacy student could have one free day, let alone, FOUR free days? I had the option to stay in UIA during the midbreak but it was dangerous, to stay alone in the block, a woman like me who is vulnerable to many sorts dangers, LOL.

Actually, it was possible to have four free consecutive days. The Revision Period. Well, I had no choice. 

I had to spend 4 days in the lab to complete my research project. I was in constant agony when I mixed the Nutrient Broth agar with the distilled water. I was worried that I could never manage to finish studying for the final exams when I inoculated the bloody MRSA into that nutrient broth agar. I need to maintain/increase my CGPA! 

The worse had happened. My MRSA refused to 'wake up'. My MRSA was in a dormant state, probably dead. No bacteria, no checkerboard assay, no results, no discussion. No research. 

I was very disappointed. I was very tired, both emotionally and physically, having to wake up early in the morning, walked to the kulliyyah, spent the day there until Maghrib, and returned back to the Mahallah. I could not even get a good night sleep fretting about the results of my experiment. 

And so, Dr A, in all her kindness, had contacted a friend of hers from Kulliyyah of Science. So, I had to drive there (borrowed F's car) to obtain the MRSA from her. 

Alas, the MRSA lived! *prostrate to the ground* 

The 3rd day, I had to carry out 2 experiments. 
1. Determination of Microbial Inhibitory Concentration
2. Checkerboard Assay. 

There were in total, 6 microtitle plates. 

I hurt my hand pipetting chemicals and bacteria into those tiny microtitre wells. Hundreds of microtitre wells! I spent almost 5 hours doing this. Everything had to be precise and accurate!!!

Then an accident happened. When covering those plates with the plate covers, the chemicals+bacteria that I had meticulously pipetted into each well spilled out when the plate came into contact with the cover geddit?  (Not entirely my fault because I had followed the instructions that said to transfer 20 microlitres of MRSA into the well containing 180 microlitres of antibiotic/extract which in total makes up 200 microlitres of mixture. Too much!!) Oh mann... it means that my plates got contaminated. Grrr... by that time, I was already too tired and frustrated to care. Whatever la. As long as I finished this. PLUS, I really need to study for my final exams!

So, I did not get the desired results. :((

I told Dr A about this. This ever-concerned lady was more worried of me not having enough time to study for finals rather than the result of the research project. *touched*. She said that it was okay. She said that 'Buat Research ni kena tabah'. You have to be mentally strong. 

Lab works done! It's like 90% of the burden had been lifted off my shoulders. I then had to prepare a 15-20 pages report on my experimental findings. Report? No problem. Nothing could be compared to stressful life of doinh lab works! 

The Fruit of Success
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the results. I got an A minus!! Alhamdulillah! I had expected a C! Hahaha.
It looks like Dr A graded me based on my efforts, rather than the results. I'm an inexperienced undergraduate student, after all. :P
Plus, I carried out all the experimental procedures on my own, with the occasional helps from the science officer and lab assistants. :) 

An Advice from the so-called expert that is ME
Take Research Project at your own risk. You might spend the whole semester regretting your decision of taking this subject. I did, at some points. You should be prepared mentally, emotionally and physically. Not everyone could stand the pressure of having to complete your research works while juggling with the everyday tasks of a Pharmacy student. 

But all in all, it is worth the effort.Having a very kind and understanding supervisor really helps you to go through the dark days of Research Project 1.

But it seems like I never learned my lesson, haven't I? I decided to continue to plunge myself deeper into the world of misery by taking Research Project 2 ! 

On my next post, I'm going to further expose the dark truth beneath the subject 'Research Project 2'. Stay tuned! 

No comments: