Pages

Monday 4 August 2014

'Throw-Throw' Garlic Fried Rice

Or in Malay, it's called 'Nasi Goreng Bawang Putih Campak-Campak' or 'Nasi Goreng Bawang Putih Hentam Sajelahh'.

I have a confession to make. This is quite an embarrassing confession.

I. DON'T. KNOW.HOW.TO.COOK. 

All my life, I have always been the 'eater', the 'food taster', rather than the cook or the chef. 

My mom and my grandmother on the other hand, are amazing cooks. They have amazing culinary skills and they love to cook. 

I, on the other hand, love to eat, and to only eat, rather than cook. 

My maid had returned to Indonesia for her Hari Raya Vacation and I am left at home to fend myself.  To ensure my survival, I must eat. And to eat proper foods, I must learn how to cook. 

I could always drive to the restaurant to eat but no. "This is the time, Sarah!" I said to myself. 

"You must now learn how to cook!" 
"It's now or never!" 

The first ever 'successful' food recipe that I've tried by myself is the 'Cheese Omelette'. It's very simple but it's the tastiest cheese omelette I've ever tasted! xD

I'm pretty confident that I have inherited my mother and grandmother's culinary skills. It's there inside me, waiting to be released, unleashed from its chain of laziness! 

Thus, my culinary adventure begins!

I know the basic steps of frying stuffs. 
Plus, I have learned that once you know how to 'tumis' (stir-fry),you can cook anything!

Girls who don't know how to cook, don't be embarrassed. We're all in this together! We can transform from 'professional eaters' to 'superb chefs!' 

The first step is all it takes. 

Girls who know how to cook, oh all right, congrats!
Guys who are judging girls who don't know how to cook, oh all right.
Guys who could cook better than girls, oh, awesome! 

So for this Nasi Goreng Bawang Putih Campak-Campak, you need the following ingredients

  • Cooked Rice (1 used 1 cup of rice)
  • Oil (I'm not sure about the exact measurements, as long as the amount is enough to stir-fry the garlic)
  • Garlic (I used about 3-4 tablespoons)
  • Half of Chicken Stock Cube 
  • Kale (Kailan), or any other vegetables, cut. 
  • An egg
  • Salt 
  • Ajinomoto (if you want to) 
I couldn't find onions in the house T___T, so Garlic and chicken stock are the main ingredients for stir-frying. Don't worry, it turned out all right! 

Instructions:
  1. Heat the oil in the pan, until it bubbled and boiled
  2. Put the garlic into the oil, and just stir it around until the aroma is unleashed (naik bau, LOL), and the garlic turned brown and crispy (fried). Have to keep on stirring it or else it will stick to the bottom of the pan. 
  3. Then put the chicken stock cube, mix and stir it. 
  4. Sprinkle a pinch of salt ( I forgot to do this, thus my rice tasted bland, initially. So I sprinkled the salt on the rice and just turn the rice over to mix it well). 
  5. Put the vegetables. (should not do this, should do this after you had fried your rice or else your green vegetables would turn brown and withered, and this is not okay for a vegetables lover like me). 
  6. Put the rice and just fry it, turning it over until the rice obtained its distinctive brownish colour, and that the rice had been fried evenly. 
  7. Using your spatula, move the rice to one side. Break an egg and put it at the empty side of the frying pan. Let the egg becomes cooked, and you can mix it with the rice. (For the egg, mix it well beforehand, and you can add salt and black pepper to it) 

Fry the chicken nuggets and eat it with your Nasi Goreng Bawang Putih Campak-Campak! ( I really campak-campak everything!)


My verdict: It is not exactly superbly tasty but it tastes edible. I should have added the salt earlier though. Haha. Oh well, this is a first attempt. I finished it all and I survived the day, yaay!!! :D *clap clap*. I just know it that the 'Cooking gene' I inherited from my mom is inside me. Besides, there's still room for improvements! 

Now, what shall I cook tomorrow? ;D
Stay tuned for more of my culinary adventures!!!

#I shall improve on my recipe-writing skills, haha. 

2 comments:

bunyaminkhair said...

Hello hey selamat hari raya haha
I learned how to cook just about a year ago once i moved in to a rumah sewa. Nothing that fancy but edible. I learned most of my recipes from this Youtube channel 'Dapur Bujang'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHr_B-2ufMo
hope this helps :)

Sarah said...

Heyy selamat hari raya!
Hahaha, thank you. Will check it out. :D