Pages

Sunday 16 December 2012

Drama Withdrawal Symptoms

Salaam'alaik.

A very important (extremely!) reminder (and warning!) to anyone who's going to sit for final exams in 2 weeks time. 
DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO WATCH EVEN A SINGLE EPISODE OF A DRAMA YOU HAVE NEVER WATCHED BEFORE!!!
You will get addicted to the drama series! That is, if the drama is the most amazing drama you have ever watched!

In my case. it's GAKSITAL known as 'Bridal Mask', a period drama based on a Korean manhwa (comics/manga) by Huh Young Man.
Yes, a KOREAN DRAMA huhh..

To tell the truth, I prefer Japanese Dramas MORE than I do of Korean Dramas. Korean Dramas have TOO  MANY EPISODES! But Dae Jang Geum/Jewel in the Palace (having 54 episodes) is an exception! 
Dae Jang Geum is by far, the BEST Korean drama I have ever watched. 



But that was until....
I WATCHED BRIDAL MASK!!!



You know, I thought it was a harmless action, to watch only one episode when I was having lunch. I thought that I would not be interested to watch the following episodes.

I WAS WRONG.

I was intrigued, excited to know what happened next, even after the first episode, and I continued to watch the 2nd, the 3rd, the 4th and the 5th. Without me realising it, I have actually spent FIVE HOURS watching this drama! What a waste of time!! Oh, this happened last week, by the way.

I felt very guilty and I stopped watching. 

And right now, I've already reached the 12th episode!! T__T (there is a total of 28 episodes in this series).
I tell myself "Sarah, it is time to stop. It is now or never! The series just get better with more episodes to come. You'd better stop watching now or you will never stop watching it until the end!!!"

So yes. I stopped watching. And I couldn't concentrate on studying. HAHA.
It is clear that I am having the 'Drama withdrawal symptoms'.

Addiction Signs and Symptoms

All addictions [...] involve both physical and psychological processes. Each person's experience of addiction is slightly different, but usually involves a cluster of some of the following symptoms of addiction. You can still be addicted even if you do not have all of the symptoms.

There are many different addictions, but similar symptoms span them all.

Some of the common symptoms of addiction are:

1. Tolerance- the need to engage in the addictive behavior more and more to get the desired effect.

For Example: A drama addict might feel the need to watch more dramas.

2. Withdrawal happens when the person does not take the substance or engage in the activity, and they experience unpleasant symptoms, which are often the opposite of the effects of the addictive behavior

For Example: A drama addict may feel withdrawal symptoms once a drama has ended or between episodes of a drama.

3. Difficulty cutting down or controlling the addictive behavior.

For Example: A drama addict may find it hard to cut down on how much they watch.

4. Social, occupational or recreational activities becoming more focused around the addiction, and important social and occupational roles being jeopardize.

For Example: A drama addict may start referring to dramas on a daily basis or may end up watching dramas at work.

5. The person becoming preoccupied with the addiction, spending a lot of time on planning, engaging in, and recovering from the addictive behavior.

For Example: A drama addict may set aside time for their addiction or work on other dramas to keep their QC status.

Signs of Addiction

Extreme mood changes - happy, sad, excited, anxious, etc.
Sleeping a lot more or less than usual, or at different times of day or night.
Changes in energy - unexpectedly and extremely tired or energetic.
Weight loss or weight gain.
Seeming unwell at certain times, and better at other times.
Pupils of the eyes seeming smaller or larger than usual.
Secretiveness.
Lying.
Changes in social groups, new and unusual friends, odd cell-phone conversations.



Taken from here 

Why is Gaksital so awesome?

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SERIES IS AWESOME!!
It tells the story about this 'superhero', known as Gaksital (Bridal Mask- because he wears a mask) who fought against the Japanese Imperial Army and the Japanese occupation on the whole in Korea during the 1930's.

It's like Korean version of Batman!! And I love BATMAN!!

I love ALL THE soundtracks of this series.
I love ALL the actors and actresses. They have impeccable, highly commendable acting skills!! They are really GOOD and they really got into their characters, if you know what I mean and thus, I was so moved by  their acting and I couldn't stop watching! 
You know, there's a saying that if you do something from your heart, you'll touch people by their hearts too! 
I love everything about this series la!! 
But I have to stop watching it.

So yes. It's always hard in the beginning. But I will get over it. Please pray that I will overcome this torturous addiction... :(

Byee...

3 comments:

a said...

Oh my dear Sarah:( I hope you get well soon because there's no cure for such a disorder xD and stop tempting me! am thinking about sinking into dramas (both Korean and Japanese) but I fear i'll catch depression :( because for some reason, it clings on me very easily hehehe. Focus on your studies and reward yourself with watching drama ;)

Sarah said...

My dear Luna, I thought you're into Japanese and Korean dramas too... Or perhaps I was mistaken? xD

At least once in a lifetime, you should watch a J-Drama and a K-drama! They are awesome!! Haha.

Yes, Luna. That's what I'm planning to do. Even though it is really hard in the beginning, I believe that I could overcome this addiction (as for now, I'm slowly recuperating) and will only continue watching the next episode AFTER I finish my finals!! :D Please pray for my success!

a said...

well... I am a fan but I can't allow myself to watch them because I really can't control myself if I start xD I've got my Anime and Manga addiction under strict supervision so I can't deal with another one :( and am praying for you dear, May Allah grant you the enlightenment you need to vanquish all the evil exams hehe.