Pages

Friday 3 October 2014

Jalan-Jalan Penang: Penang Interactive Museum and Fort Cornwallis

This is an outdated post. The following events took place on the 16th and 17th of September, whereby I had a short vacation to Penang, which is located within 30 minutes journey from my hometown.

I had once lived in Penang when I was a kid. I don't remember much about my time there, but somehow, I feel so connected to this place.

So, in Penang, where did we head to for this very short vacation? 

First Stop: Penang Interactive Museum

You probably had heard all the raves about this 'First Interactive Museum' in Malaysia. You probably had seen the pictures taken inside the museum.

This museum  mainly comprises a series of mega-sized paintings that gave a 3-D portrayal when taken at a certain angle. Based on this, I think that this place is more of an interactive 'gallery' rather than a museum.

The main reason of why it is called a museum might probably be because the paintings are all about Penang, with a timeline from about 300 years ago until the present day. And oh, each painting comes with a short to lengthy descriptions of what the painting is all about. 

Why it is called an 'interactive' museum is due to the reason that you could ahemm... 'take pictures' with the 3D paintings, which like I said, can seem real when you captured it at the right angle. Those paintings are also accompanied with some props to supposedly enhance the 3D effects.

As much as I'm sceptical with it being a 'museum', I like it though. The paintings are beautiful! I hereby present to you, some images captured in this 'Interactive Museum'.

Ticketing counter.

It was pretty crowded, because it was Malaysia Day at that time. 


Entrance Fees

You can minum kopi with Lim Guan Eng. 
The notice above 'him' stated 'Please Respect our Chief Minister'. LOL. 

Okay, tak pandai tangkap gambar

The spot from where you should take the picture

Okayy...barulah nampak 3D! Bolehlaa

Random Person #1. You could step into the 'mirror'. Hahaha. Brilliant, isn't it? 





Random People #2 and #3. 

It's like a gallery, I tell you! 


Rocky Waterfall 

Random People #4 and #5. Scuba Diving. Sort of. Hahahaha. 


Random People #ohIlostcount

This is Haziq. 

Spiderman is saving Haziq!

Haziq meets Dr Sun Yat Sen 

He's really good in posing! 

Also, there's the 'miniature museum'. Okaylaa museum la..

Spinning Gasing

Selling and Buying Nasi Lemak

The Port 

Ships 

Chinese worker reading Nanyang Siat Pau (random guess) 

Basically, that's it. There are more pictures, of course. There are 'outdoor scenes' where you can take pictures as well.  

Sorry for the low image quality. Merely using my galaxy note (tab) and plus, it was quite dark in certain areas there. 

Second Stop: Restoran Kapitan

This is one of the famous Nasi Kandar Restaurants in Penang. Here, I got to try:



THIS. Briyani!! Served in claypot. Well,ceramic pot! It was delicious! 

Street Art along the alley. Title: Minion si Penarek Becha 

Third stop: Chowrasta Market (Bookers' Heaven) 

I was looking for books. It had been 3 years that I last set my feet to this place. Found that it had been renovated and the layout had changed. Plus, I think that the number of books had reduced as well. :(



As usual, I was looking for Sweet Valley Twins books. I'm a collector of this beloved childhood/teenhood series. I shall make a post about my love of Sweet Valley books. :) 

Anyway, I found out that the book dealers/sellers had gotten more persuasive that they had scared me, hohoho... I still hadn't gotten over the 'Bargaining Trauma' experienced at Silk Street, Beijing and now I actually had to bargain for books? 

Luckily I have parents who know how to/ love to bargain. My mom actually loves the thrills of bargaining, and I couldn't fathom this. 



Sadly, not many of the Sweet Valley Twins books are available. The bookseller initially wanted to sell each one of it at a high price because he claimed that these books are out-of-prints already (true) and that many people are looking for these books (saying that someone from KL came to Chowrasta with a long list of Sweet Valley titles). 


I picked up Sue Townsend's 'The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year' because I am familiar with her works on the 'Diary of Adrian Mole' series, Nicole Krauss' 'The History of Love' because the bookseller recommended it to me (Plus, I have faith in the Penguin/Puffin books) and...Sweet Valley Twins books! You can see that those are second hand vintage library books. LOL

Fourth Stop: Gurney Drive Food Court

Gurney Drive Food Court is divided into 2 sections, the non-Muslims/non-Halal section and the Muslim/Halal Section. It's an open-air food court, overlooking the sea and once in a while, the soothing sea breeze would pass through the court, ahhhh

I love this place so much! Devouring over my Char Koay Teow in just a few minutes because I was so famished :P and that the Char Koay Teow was so heavenly delicious! 
If you come here, be sure to try out Penang Laksa, Char Koay Teow, Rojak Pasembor and Air Kelapa!

I didn't manage to capture any picture because it was quite dark and I was very very hungry! Hahaha.

And at night, my dad bought warm, fresh Cow's Milk from the Restoran Kapitan. They only sell the milk from 6 pm onwards. I wanted to try almond milk but unfortunately, it was not available at that time. :( 

Fifth Stop: Bangkok Lane 


We went for Breakfast at this roadside stall located at Bangkok Lane (Lorong Bangkok). I had no idea on the origin of this name.Probably back then, there were many Siamese residing in this particular lane? Or a significant number of Siamese merchants carrying out their trades here? *shrug* There are old Baba-Nyonya style houses on both sides of the streets. I love Baba-Nyonya houses. They are so beautiful! 










What we had for Breakfast: Teh Tarik, Roti Bakar, Telur Separuh Masak and  the famous Mee Goreng Sotong. What a hearty breakfast! xD

I love to dip the heavenly buttered toast into the half-boiled eggs. Sedap!!! 

Sixth Stop: Fort Cornwallis

I've always wanted to go to Fort Cornwallis. I've read a section in Tan Twan Eng's 'The Gift of Rain'  about how Philip Hutton, the main protagonist had to visit his father who was captured by the Japanese here in Fort Cornwallis. So, I tried my best to imagine the scene here. :P

This Fort Cornwallis, served as a Prison during the British Colonial Era and Japanese Occupation.




Main Entrance




Francis Light 







I don't know what this building is, but it looks like a Chapel. 


Yup, it was a Chapel. 





The prison cells


Imagine how many people had suffered throughout their duration of imprisonment here. D:

Old bricks 



Queen Victoria Memorial Clock Tower 



I had captured many old pictures of Penang displayed here, with the intention that I would look at the pictures and read the descriptions in my free time. A History Buff, I am. :P 


I seriously think that the Japanese must have beheaded the prisoners at this area. 

Old cannon 

Lighthouse 


The Armory





Basically, that's it! End of Post!!!
To conclude, I love Penang and I would like to go there again and again! :D

One of the important day of my life is going to take place next week on the 11th of October 2014. Convocation Day!!! Can't wait!!! :D

Till then, adieu! 

2 comments:

Luqman Fauzi said...

Not much to comment, just wanna say good job. Your pictures make me wanna go to Penang

Sarah said...

Thank you! :D
Yes, you should go there one day!
Selamat Hari Raya Aidiladha!