Pages

Saturday 13 December 2014

Cross-eyed Rapunzel and Belle having Jaundice

Salaam folks!!!

I don't know why I suddenly got so interested in arts. Perhaps 4 years spent memorizing drugs had led to my right brain being deprived of its rights. And thus, it had been yearning to be fully utilized. "Use me, use your brain! The right one! I mean the right side!"

Thus, I decided to embrace my so-called creativity. I began to search pins about arts and crafts on Pinterest, followed some artsy people on twitter(back then when I was still active) and instagram.

And so this morning after Subuh, I was quite preoccupied in looking at the drawings of this person I just followed on Instagram. She is so talented!!! Her name is Mandy Wang. She called herself 'an aspiring Disney and Marvel artist' so as you can guess, she mainly draws pictures of Disney and Marvel comics characters. And uhm.. she's only 17!! 
Check out her instagram: lovemandywang 

I was so inspired after looking at those beautiful drawings of hers. And so, I decided to follow her footsteps. LOL. 

You know, it's really handy to have a brother who took 'Architecture' in university. He's now working in Singapore so he had left his art supplies at home, in his room. And I gather that he won't be needing them again. XP

All right. And so I screen-captured some of her drawings that I could try to imitate. Here are the two Disney princesses I drew and coloured. It seems like they are suffering from some sort of medical conditions. 

Rapunzel from 'Tangled'.  Apparently suffering from half-paralysis. Cross-eyed, looked like she had a bit of mental problem or that she tried to be goofy, who knows? 
Major flaws: I got her eyes all wrong and her chin too pointy. But she still looks cute kan? :D


Belle from 'Beauty and the Beast'. The original drawing portrayed her to be looking like someone of a Hispanic descent, thus the darker olive shade skin. It turned out all right at first. But I foolishly added layers and layers of other colours and thus leading her to be looking like this. LOL. And why jaundice? She looks yellow-er on paper than in this picture above. 

Major flaws: Eyes, nose, lips, too much distance between nose and mouth. 

Anyway, forget those flaws and errors, I had fun drawing and colouring and painting these 2 pictures! Painting? Oh I used Faber-Castell water-colour pencils. So after I coloured each section, I brushed over it using a paint-brush dipped in water, thus creating a paint-like effect.  Sort of. 

I also scoured through the internet and found many information of the techniques of colouring, using different colours as bases, and so on. I will keep on learning and continue to practise and hone my skills in drawing and colouring. 

I also found out that there are different types of colour pencils. The ones that Mandy Wang uses are the Prismacolours colour pencils and Faber-Castell Polychromo Colour Pencils. They created stronger colours leading to more colourful, vibrant drawings! But they are quite pricey. 12 pencil colours for RM64, and all 120 complete colour set for RM710. 

Never mind, I'll just stick to my Faber-Castell water colour pencils first. You know the saying about 'It's not about what type of camera you use, but it's the person behind the camera'? Ala, lebih kurang la. The same saying could be applied to this. 

All right. Gotta draw more.. adieu! 

I just love 'working' on my bed. :P

No comments: