Pages

Tuesday 15 March 2011

I am a History Buff

Assalamualaikum and hello to all :)

I’m always attracted to something old, something dusty, hidden in an old cupboard that is also filled with dozens of old-fashioned porcelain plates for example, something that was produced and made many years ago, before the year I was born, something that no longer exists in this present moment.

And so, I tend to be drawn towards everything old, vintage, antique. Old diaries, old black and white pictures with adorned with patterned borders, grim looking yet magnificently constructed old edifices.

I love visiting historical sites, historical places. Malacca and Penang top my list in ‘The list of favorite states in Malaysia’.

I love the subject ‘History’. It’s the only academic subject that I need not to force myself to read and comprehend it, as opposed to other subjects about terrestrial bodies (humans, the anatomy and physiology). I would gladly read any recommended books about the History of Malaysia (Malaya), History of Asia, History of the World.

I love visiting museums too. Preferably the ones in a pre-war colonial mansions, erected during the British and Dutch era. It fascinates me to learn and know about what happened in the past. To see one day in a life of a British official in Malaya. To go to the times of the Egyptian Civilization, Mesopotamian, the 12 China Dynasties.

The History Channel is my most favourite Astro channel. The next ones would be HBO, Star Movies, Cinemax (LOL. I’m a Movie Buff too :P). I love watching documentaries about wars and stuff. There is one particular documentary about Rare War Films (in colours!).

I’m exceptionally curious about what really happened, how my ancestors (and the other old people) live during the times and tides of wars and post independence, what they did. Their sources of entertainment, the foods they consumed, the clothes they wore, basically everything!

And thus, my never-would-be-fulfilled, no doubt, an impossible dream is to go back to the past and witness and experience everything that happens. Not as one of them, but as a spectator, quite akin to watching a real life drama, in a real life world, a 3D version. Actually being there, to look back at the old buildings, the glorious era of the Malaccan empire, the Ottoman empire, to meet(as a spectator) Rasulullah s.a.w and his companions, the Hijrah from Makkah to Madinah, the wars between them and the infidels, the World War 1 and World War 2, to actually look what happened to the countries before wars and after the wars, to be there at Stadium Merdeka, witnessing the Declaration of Merdeka by Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra al-Haj, to actually witness the horrible massacres committed by the Japanese during their occupations in Malaya. To join Hang Tuah and Tun Mamat in their expedition to meet Puteri Gunung Ledang, asking for her hands of marriage to Sultan Mansor Shah. To visit P.Ramlee’s sets in Studio Jalan Ampas. To chronicle the developments of Malaysia and Singapore from my own point of view, just like a novel/diary entry (rather than reading them somewhere, written by some boring old scholars). There are too many things that I wanted to do. I wanted to go to the past to appreciate what I have in the present, to be wary of the future.

Of course, it is an impossible thing. One impossible thing. Right now, I would just satisfy my curiosity by

 Select a subject of interest. For instance, the History of Malacca
Reading books about the old time Malacca
Looking at pictures of old Malacca
Visiting the historical sites in Malacca and to compare and contrast between old and modern Malacca.
 Imagining and picturing what happened in the past, when visiting the historical sites. IMAGINATION is important!

It does not mean that I’m an outdated person, always thinking about the past. I would rather regard myself as a history buff, passionately curious about what happened to the world and how that leads to me, living here in the present. I mean, without any intervention in the past, I would, say, be born to an extremely poor and deprived Malay family living in MALAYA, who only got its independence from the JAPAN in the year 2000 ( in case the bombings of Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima and Nagasaki never occurred)Hey, anything can happen, right? And I wanted to find the truth! Yes, somebody said that History is a mere fiction, retellings of events passed from generation to generations, with some added artificial ‘facts’ along the way.

I wanted to do a proper research, writing thesis and publishing history books that are easily understood and comprehended by young modern generations. That could touch their hearts to the core. To instill a sense of patriotism and appreciation towards the past leaders and to love our country.

But before that, I must show my thanks and appreciation to these historical figures:

Prophet Muhammad s.a.w, Dato’ Onn Jaafar, Tunku Abdul Rahman, Sultan Mansor Shah, Parameswara, Hang Tuah and others. Without them. Maybe, I wouldn’t be a Muslim, wouldn’t be Malay, and wouldn’t be living in a comfortable life in the present. History shaped the way we are now. And not to forget, thank you to the current Malaysian leaders for managing to ‘maintain’ our independence. Though we might have some disagreements here and there ( in cases related to deconstruction of old historical buildings such as Pudu Prison,Bukit Bintang Girls School to make places for stupid shopping complexes and all but hey, thanks! But of course, my ultimate thanks go to Allah the All-knowing and most Merciful.The Greatest creator of all events that occur ever since the universe is created till the End of the world (and post-end of the world).Without Him, I would never become the way I am right now.

In what way shall I convey my thanks? By studying sincerely, knowledge-oriented-ly to become a respectable Malay Muslim. Oi, be sincere!

With that, thank youuu…

No comments: