Pages

Wednesday 13 March 2013

Day 2: Your Dream Profession(s)

I purposely added the 's' to 'profession'. It is simply because there are many things that I would like to do, and right now is the perfect time to list out all of them!
Okay, I have 30 minutes to do this! Starto!

1. Bookshop owner+writer
This sounds so perfect. My dream would be to open a bookshop. Not any bookshop which sells stationeries, have photocopy services, etc like you could see in most bookshops in Malaysia, but rather, a shop which sells only books- hence the name BOOKshop. :)
It need not to be massive or spacious like Kinokuniya or MPH Bookstores. One shop lot would suffice. The concept would be relaxing, laid-back, 'keep calm and start choosing a book' kind of thing. Whenever people come to my shop, I would be like Ollivander from Harry Potter and I'd say "It's not you who had chosen the book. It is the book who had chosen you". Okay stop it. 


And at the same time, I would write, write and write. Where else would be the most conducive place to write  other than in a bookshop? So yes, I would write and read and sell books. My whole life would be revolved around books. This sounds like a perfect profession. 

2. A travel writer
(How could I talk about traveling when I haven't even posted a single proper post about my trip to Taiwan?) The name says it all. Travelling and writing. I wish to step my foot in every country in the world before I die and write about my experiences there. Ameen. 

3. Head editor/Editor-in-chief for a magazine.
Yours truly had just been chosen to hold the most coveted (at least for me) post in any magazine. The HEAD EDITOR! In this case, it is only for the IIUM Pharmacy Students' Association (iPha) annually published magazine, nevertheless, I was very excited. I know that I have a HUGE responsibility trusted upon me, but I have this passion towards writing and anything to do with words (LOL) so it's okay! To tell the truth, I have been wanting to hold this post since I was in my 1st year (I was the 2nd Asst.Editor, 1st Asst.Editor in my 2nd year) so, Alhamdulillah, my dream had come true! The previous head editor had set up a really high standard for the magazine. Like Amiirah said, 'he had raised the bar really high' but never mind, I'll do my best, with Allah's help, inshaa Allah. 

And so, while writing out about my plans for the magazine, I couldn't help but to wonder, is this how it's like to work for a real magazine? Haha. 

4. Journalist/Anthropologist.
It is quite the same as the previous dream profession. I wish to write for a magazine rather than a newspaper (magazine is often published monthly, less stress as compared to the newspaper, I supposed). I wanted to write about life. The definition of life, how people perceived their lives, how they find meanings in their lives, how people realized about their purposes in this life. I know that at the end of the day, it would be directed back towards God. 

Stories like this. 
I'm aware that the Time magazine is published weekly, thank you. :) 

5. Medical Journalist.
I'm not sure whether I would pursue my studies to a higher level. But  if I decided not to take those major subjects like 'Pharmacology', 'Cancer and Chemotherapy' and stuffs, I would like to get enrolled in a journalism course. I don't want to be an ordinary journalist, I would like to become a medical journalist. The knowledge that I had gained during my undergraduate years would pave an easier path for me to become a medical journalist. I just need to learn how to write properly. T__T. My aim would be to create this sturdy bridge between the world of health and medicine with the general public. This might contradict with the previous point (number 4) but what if you combined life and medicine together? They are always correlated, aren't they? Medicines and knowledge about health are usually employed to prolong a person's life, isn't it? Everyone is going to die anyway. But before they died, have they found the meanings in their lives? This question is something that needs to be pondered upon not just by patients suffering from terminal illnesses, but also by people like you and me. 

6. Pharmacy Owner
I have this plan of opening a Pharmacy and establishing a pharmacy chain stores someday. Other than roaming around a bookstore, I love to explore a Pharmacy as well (typical of a Pharmacy student). I love being in a Pharmacy (I dislike being in a hospital, though). The types of Pharmacies that I have in mind are like these:

a) Kiehl's. Do you know that the founder of Kiehl's was a pharmacist? This famous cosmetics chain is founded as a single pharmacy in New York. (of course it takes hundred of years for them to become established as they do now, still, it is inspiring!). 


b) Boots Pharmacy. It's kind of like Malaysia's Guardian Pharmacy. 


7. An academician/a researcher for a university

If I were to pursue my Masters and Ph.D, I would be sure to take something that I have interests in. I don't want to suffer learning stuffs that I don't really like. >__<. So far, I like Herbal Medicine, Cosmeceuticals and anti-cancer and chemotherapy (I guess). I love Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Designing too but they are too complicated. Pharmacology requires you to deal with mice and rats (and I hate those rodents!). Well, let's see, shall we? 

8. Researcher for a Cosmeceutical Company.
For Loreal, Vichy, or I don't know, any kind of Cosmetics Company that requires R&D, I guess?

9. Drug Researcher 
I need to have the knowledge of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology, of which both are difficult subjects. 

10. A full-time writer
Being a writer full-time in Malaysia is highly unlikely though. Plus, I would want to do other things as well. 

So, that's all from me! Yeah, I had great fun listing out my dream professions. But whatever it is that I decided to do later on, please let it be that I bring benefits to people around me and thus, doing my part of changing the world to a better place. Inshaa Allah. Most importantly, I would like to do it for Allah's sake. :)

Day 3: Who are you closest to? 

I already have an answer for this question. Haha. 

Thanks for reading and may you have a blissful and blessed day ahead! :) 

Salam'alaik....

2 comments:

a said...

I enjoyed reading this, I believe I share the "bookshop/researcher" professions with you xD I hope you can achieve some of these professions some day, if not all, if that's possible hehe, good luck

Sarah said...

Really? Awesomesauce! Haha. Thank you, please pray for me! :)