Pages

Friday 17 April 2009

What I did during my childhood and SURVIVED...

I was very active and imaginative during my childhood days ( primary school days). Our house back then had a large backyard. There's the water tank tower and I always climbed on it (not really that high) and imagined on transforming the water tank into a small hotel or library. I just did that by compiling the old story books and magazines, putting them in a small box below the tank, and each of them are labelled 'Sarah's mini library'.

An avid reader of 'Malory Towers' and 'St. Clare's' series, I once set up my room to match the settings in the books. Like, there's the rest room, there's the study room, cubicles, etc. And the victims of the games I planned were-- my dearest siblings. Syafiq, Syazwani and Danial. Oh, life was so good at that time.

I even tried to set up some mysteries. Like, I once had a 'baby doll' of which my aunt bought it for me when I was 6 or 7, I supposed. Due to the influence from some horror dramas and movies that I've watched ( X Files were my favourite), I changed the appearance of the 'baby doll' which my aunt bought by scrawling stuffs like scars using the marker pen. Make it look really untidy with it's smudged face and untidy blonde hair. We pretended that the doll is haunted and thus it must be banished. I put in in a box that serves as a coffin. Back then, there is a big shady mango tree at the side yard. And pandan leaves bushes(?) below it. In a rainy evening(seriously!), Syafiq and I brought the box that contains the baby doll and throw it into the bush. Go away! Don't even disturb us anymore! And later, I found my late grandma used a long stick to pick up the doll back from the bush. She scolded us for throwing that doll. And I decided to give the doll to my niece anyway( my cousin's daughter). Both the dolls (the one my parents bought for me and the 'haunted' doll) are still there at her house. And they are still in good condition (malu, malu). Anyway, at that age, dolls are not my stuffs anymore. I loved mysteries. Hahaha.


And there was the time where I inserted a plank through the small opening of the garden's table. (you can't visualise it, can't you?) And I filled a container full of pebbles and put it at the end of the table. The situation that I tend to create is about an explorer who had to crawl through a narrow hole or passage to retain the legendary jewels (the container of pebbles, LOL).
Another time was when I gained an inspiration to set up an opera house. I read Phantom of the Opera when I was nine. There are lots of tables in one unoccupied site of the house. I arranged the tables properly to create a hole in the middle of the stage (arranged tables). The hole served as the trapdoor, LOL.
Again, the victims of my imaginative thinking? My siblings.


I'm glad that I have lots of siblings. I can't imagine my life without them. Well at least, my childhood life. It would be freaking boring.

There was one time where Syafiq and I created papier mache draculas. We used the crayons to add some effects on the draculas. And we decided to hang both of them on the mango tree. To our surprise, there was a bat flying over us when we opened the door. We told this to mum and she said that we shouldn't create such 'deviant' stuffs, haha.

There was a small Rambutan tree in front of the house. Syafiq and I made our own not-so complete tree house. And we brought our stuffs there. Again, I got influenced by Enid Blyton's books.

I read a lot during the childhood days. There was a public library located near to our house at that time. Mum registered me and Syafiq as the members of the library. I was nine and Syafiq was seven. We would borrow books once in every two weeks and mum is ever so supportive to drive us to the library just to read and borrow books. Sometimes during weekends, she will drop both of us there for us to happily read and browse through books and she will come back after two hours to fetch us. You could say that my mum in a way, instilled and nurtured my reading habits. It is still my most favourite hobby, until now.

I had written lots of stories during primary school. My friends would read them and commented on them. Back then, I was obsessed with Chinese Dramas. Anyone remembered 'My Fair Princess'? Well, I was freaking obsessed with it that I and my best friends back then (Parvathee and Rachel) wrote fan fictions on 'My Fair Princess'. Yeah, 'Journey to the West', 'Movie Tycoon', 'The Good Old Days'. I've watched them all. Back then, Chinese dramas (especially TVB) are very popular. Until Korean and Japanese dramas stepped into the Malaysians' entertainment diets.

I was fascinated with the costumes worn by the characters in 'My Fair Princess' that I went designing them myself. Using the old baju kurung sekolah, handkerchief, scarf and some stuffs. Haha.

I once created my own doll house when I was nine. It is actually a book rack of which I put all the stuffs such as handmade paper and card furniture into it.

Syafiq
was the first person to sew a dress for my barbie doll. Unbelievable, eh?? :P
My late grandma had sewn some other stuffs for the doll. Like, the pillow and bolster. I missed her so much. :(

I had 4 barbie dolls back then. The oldest one is a present from my aunt when I was 5. I named her Jessica. During primary school , I was a bit obsessed with barbie dolls that I used up all my money to buy them. 2nd barbie is Jennifer. 3rd Barbie is Sabrina and the 4th and last barbie doll is Vanessa. I have another plastic doll called Lola. Haha.
I had quite a collection of soft toys back then. WHERE ARE THEY NOW???

This entry might be a bit childish and girlish but hey, that's how I was back then. Childish, girlish, imaginative. All the qualities a child supposed to possess.
And once I stepped into secondary school, bye-bye childhood. A new life had begun. I had no time to invent stuffs and scenarios anymore. I was forced to read and studies for 10 subjects. I hate going to school. And as I was slowly developing into becoming a teenager, I had encountered with so many problems. I sometimes hated my life and was quite rebellious. Often, I kept on comparing my life with others. Now, it's Lizzie McGuire and 'That's So Raven' that I watched. I wanted to be like them and lead the live they have in the series. I was so irrational and immatured.

Thinking back, I guesss I was much a better person during childhood compared to the adolescent years.

But as soon as I stepped into Form 4. I have slowly become matured and independent. I analysed things critically before I acted on something. I'm not the judgmental and irrational Sarah in the adolescent and teenage years.

Well, that is me right now. Not childish nor rebellious. I'm matured! MUAHAHAHA (somehow). And I feel that I'm a better Sarah compared to the Sarah in her adolescent years.
I'm going to be nineteen this year. Oh man....

No comments: